The Wonders of Kesari:
Kesari is a famous sweet in South India especially Tamil Nadu.Even today it would have a separate place in all festivals or any occasions. Its very very easy to prepare but nothing can beat its taste.My Mom used to prepare Kesari for all occasions with lots of nuts and homemade ghee – since i love it:).I dedicate this recipe to my loving mom.
Rava/Sooji/ Semolina – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 cup(u can reduce or increase according to ur taste buds)
Milk – 2 1/2 cup(If u dont have milk u can use same amount of water)
Cashews – 10
Cardamom – 3
Cinnamon /Pattai – 1
Ghee - 6 tsp(Increase or decrease according to ur need)
Coconut oil – 3 tsp
Food Colour Orange/ Yellow – a Pinch
- In an empty pan fry the rava.
- Once rava gets heated add coconut oil and mix well and remove from heat.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add ghee cashews, cinnamon, cardamom and sauté till they become golden brown.
- Add milk and allow it to boil.
- Now dissolve the food colour in water and then add it into the milk.
- Once the milk starts boiling add a pinch of salt(to highlight the sugar taste) and slowly add rava and keep stirring so that no lumps are formed.
- Once the rava is cooked and milk is completely drained remove from the heat.
- Now add sugar and mix well.
Since we use coconut oil we get a good aroma in the sweet.Once u start preparing in the kitchen ,people would peep in for the aroma, from the hall or even ur neighbours.
If u add before rava is cooked, it would take more time for cooking, so add only in the finishing stage.